Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: 'If you can't prevent rape, you enjoy it,' says India's top police official  (Read 2223 times)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/13/prevent-rape-enjoy-it-india-police-chief

Ranjit Sinha, chief of India's Central Bureau of Investigation, made the remark on Tuesday during a conference about illegal sports betting and the need to legalise gambling. The CBI, the country's premier investigative agency, is India's equivalent of the FBI.

Sinha said at the conference that if the state could not stop gambling, it could at least make some revenue by legalising it.

"If you cannot enforce the ban on betting, it is like saying: 'If you can't prevent rape, you enjoy it,'" he said.

What the....? Is that actually a saying? What in heaven's name?!

• Talia
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Champion
  • Talia.7412
    • The Charter Vanguard
In short he's saying he basically wants to get paid for doing absolutely nothing.

Yeah, I understand the gist, but I was wondering if it's even a saying, or is it just something he made up?

• Talia
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Champion
  • Talia.7412
    • The Charter Vanguard
He probably made it up, though with the way things are in India, that could very well be a saying of a collected few idiots. It's one thing for a hooligan to be saying such things, but chief of India's investigative unit? About time the caste system was torn down, and a woman made prime minister of India so she can do something about all the discrimination.

*EDIT* I went and read that article, apparently - "Sinha later apologised and said he had "just used a proverb to make a point."" I'd like to know where he got this "proverb" from.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:40:37 PM by Talia »

To the Chief idiot... "You're pretty sick Chubbs." (Happy Gilmore movie quote)

• TimSix
I'm pretty sure he's just saying it, because that's the first time I've heard that phrase and any other derivatives that share the same resemblance. The phrase was also taken out of context. I'm sure that what the guy meant to say was that legalizing gambling - because it's so widespread and popular - is a poor mentality towards the issue. He compared this to the theoretical legalization of rape, because it was so widespread in India. I can't say I disagree with the sentiment though, because rape is disgusting - his analogy implies this - and therefore the comparison was just poor taste.

EDIT: Read Talia's post, and that changes things. India has had a problem with rape for a long time, and it's not like the perpetrators of it are that difficult to reach. I know 2 different Indian guys (no relation to each other) who have lived and grown up in India since they were born. They are students at my university, and speaking to them opened up some first-hand insight into the rape culture that is so widespread in India. One of them in particular, said that he knew people in his hometown who have committed rape. The problem is that it is so common and so widespread that little to nothing is done about it by the authorities (similar to the gambling issue). That's not to say that women are just in a complete patriarchal/misogynistic hell in India, but based on what I've heard, the rape problem in India seems to be more concerning than the media puts it out to be.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:59:26 PM by Reisinger »

He probably made it up, though with the way things are in India, that could very well be a saying of a collected few idiots. It's one thing for a hooligan to be saying such things, but chief of India's investigative unit? About time the caste system was torn down, and a woman made prime minister of India so she can do something about all the discrimination.

*EDIT* I went and read that article, apparently - "Sinha later apologised and said he had "just used a proverb to make a point."" I'd like to know where he got this "proverb" from.

I guess that's what I was thinking. I realize there can be vast cultural differences that, even when something is translated, make no sense or can be even offensive in the other language. I was wondering if this was the case here.

I agree wholeheartedly about the caste system!

now I know why my Indian colleague used the word "hate" when she said "I hate the Indian police (force)".

avout the rape issue, I wonder there's an easy way to solve the rape issue -- for those who committed more than once, get the root of rape chopped off.

see who dare to rape some more. anyway, not like human right is held so high there right? also can help in population control

• Edivaine
  • she.haz.lejndaree
  • Vanguard
  • Ember's Caged Chimp
  • !i.haz.lejndaree!
Its a society where women are seens as mere objects and the women themselves either are too scared to voice themselves due to the lack of education or the women are so bound to the culture that being seen as rape victims destroys their lives/livelihood ei marriage.

Here I'm all for women being empowered and since the last rape case in India, women there has stood up and voiced out their predicament catching international media's attention. Even with that and the new laws (death penalty) being enforced on rape I'm not sure how much can be done since rape in India has been 'glorified' (if you do nothing about it you condone it) in the past.