Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Malaysia Muslims stomped on severed cow head  (Read 2421 times)

Malaysia Muslims stomped on severed cow head
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Dozens of Malaysian Muslims paraded Friday with the head of a cow, a sacred animal in Hinduism, in a dramatic protest against the proposed construction of a Hindu temple in their neighborhood.

The unusual protest by some 50 people in Shah Alam, the capital of Selangor state, raises new fears of racial tensions in this multiethnic Muslim-majority country where Hindus comprise about 7 percent of the 27 million population.

The demonstrators who marched from a nearby mosque after Friday prayers dumped the cow head outside the gates of the state government headquarters. Selangor adjoins Kuala Lumpur.

Protesters stomped on the head and spat on it before leaving the site, Xavier Jeyakumar, a state government official in charge of non-Muslim affairs, told The Associated Press.

"This is a sign of disrespect, insensitivity and a huge insult to the Indian community," he said.

Such an overt display of religious discord is almost unheard of in Malaysia, which has carefully nurtured racial harmony among its three main ethnic groups, Malay Muslims, Chinese and Indians, since 1969 when the country suffered its worst racial riots.

The demonstrators said their neighborhood, Section 23, has a 90 percent Muslim population and building a Hindu temple there was inappropriate.

"If there is blood you (the government) will be responsible," Malaysiakini, an independent news Web site, quoted a protest leader Ibrahim Haji Sabri as saying.

"I challenge (Selangor government leaders) to go on with the temple construction. I guarantee bloodshed and racial tension," Ibrahim said amid chants of "Allahu Akbar," or God is great, the Malaysian Insider, another news Web site, reported.

Both sites posted pictures of the protest showing a bloodied cow head.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Re: Malaysia Muslims stomped on severed cow head
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
Quote from: "Chronical Song"
"I challenge (Selangor government leaders) to go on with the temple construction. I guarantee bloodshed and racial tension," Ibrahim said amid chants of "Allahu Akbar," or God is great, the Malaysian Insider, another news Web site, reported.
Cannot send him to ISA?

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:38:47 AM »
Quote from: "Sword Cruise"
Cannot send him to ISA?
You are the Malaysian here. You tell me.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 02:09:06 AM »
Cannot send him to ISA?
You are the Malaysian here. You tell me.
Err... I'm almost a Singaporean now. hahaha

• Talia
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Champion
  • Talia.7412
    • The Charter Vanguard
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:06:49 PM »
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20090909/ta ... c65ae.html

SHAH ALAM, Malaysia - A Malaysian court charged six Muslims with sedition Wednesday for parading a severed cow head to protest the construction of a Hindu temple in a case that has stoked religious and racial tensions in this multiethnic country.

The six also were expected to be charged _ along with six others _ with illegal assembly later Wednesday.

The 12 were among a large group of people who had marched from a mosque in Shah Alam, the capital of Selangor state, to the state chief minister's office on Aug. 28 with the bloodied cow head. The cow is the most sacred animal in Hinduism.

They stopped at the gates of the office where they stomped and spat on the cow head after listening to fiery speeches by their leader. Their actions were recorded on video, and the footage was uploaded onto the Internet.

The protest deeply offended Hindus and stoked tensions among Malaysia's main ethnic groups _ the Malay Muslim majority and Chinese and Indian minorities. Indians are mostly Hindus.

Many of the protesters were residents of Section 23 neighborhood in Shah Alam, a largely Malay Muslim area where the state government had planned to build a temple. Many residents opposed the proposed temple.

The Shah Alam Sessions Court charged the six then freed them on bail pending trial, for which no date has been set. Sedition, described as promoting ill will and hostility between different races, is punishable by up to three years in jail and a fine.

Defense lawyer Salehuddin Saldin said his clients did not intend to offend Hindus, and carried the cow head only as a symbol of the state government's "stupidity."

"It is not a serious offense. If you look at the Malay culture, the cow is synonymous to stupidity and not meant to insult other religions," he said.

State authorities in Selangor later said they have found a new site in Shah Alam to build the temple, a few hundred yards (meters) away from the original site.

The conflict highlighted frustrations among religious minorities about strict guidelines that restrict the number of non-Muslim places of worship, partly based on whether enough people of the non-Muslim faith live in the area where the church or temple is to built.

Many Malaysians, including Muslims, have criticized police for standing by and not stopping the protesters. They have also criticized the government for moving slowly to crack down on protesters in contrast to the alacrity with which other anti-government demonstrators are arrested and charged.

The protesters insist the temple could generate excessive noise and traffic, disrupting their concentration during prayers. (lol)

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
http://tonypua.blogspot.com/2009/09/sha ... acism.html

"I had been saving up for many years to buy a house in Section 23 and I have the right to object to this. And now we are speaking in anger... and don't make us look stupid by quoting Quranic verses to us," she told Khalid Samad.

"It would disrupt traffic flow," said one female resident of Section 23 when asked what exactly these Muslim sensitivities are.

Ainul Hisham, who is a teacher, said she feared the relocation of the temple would create a "higher crime rate" in the neighbourhood.

"We don’t like the smells. It would be noisy and the temples would usually get bigger so we just don’t want it to be near our homes," said another resident, Roshan, 42, on why he was against the temple being built there.

Mahyuddin, a leader of the cow-head protest] denied that he and other protesters last week had intended to step on the cow's head but instead blamed it on the media for encouraging by "asking us to step on it for photo purposes". -> ya ya we so believe you.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:07 PM »
How about the threatening speech?

Isn't mosque in M'sia much more noisier?

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:10:19 AM »
How about the threatening speech?

Isn't mosque in M'sia much more noisier?
IDK, I am a Singaporean.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:41:56 AM »
Oh, here you are on "equality" and "human rights" in Malaysia. =)

http://www.youtube.com/user/c4productionhouse