Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Just happened next to me: Explosian at sub-station.  (Read 2965 times)

• oukanna
  • Vanguard
  • Slacker's Canon Fodder
Just happened next to me: Explosian at sub-station.
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »
I was on gw with Hb, just finished "time for heroes" and were deciding with matt and chibi what to do next. Then our power just went out and explosians with thick back smoke could be seen from the landing window.

A sub-station randomly exploded and caused a fire which took the fire brigade 20minutes or so to put out. It also caught a tree next to it.

We had no electricity for 3 hours T_T and no one knows how it exploded so a full investigation is happening now.

Here is a link to our local news site.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=161366&command=displayContent&sourceNode=258861&home=yes&more_nodeId1=161375&contentPK=21073229

Sorry to Matt and chibi who might of waited for us to reconnect :( It wasnt our fault...honest xDD
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

• TheDon
  • Kovenito's Potion Maker
Re: Just happened next to me: Explosian at sub-station.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »
Damn!

But I see you're back online so that's good.

• Briareus
  • Inactive Member
  • Slacker's General
  • GW2 ID: Cain.8239
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
Good to hear you're okay and what not, nice to have you back online (even though I wasn't around for your dc :P)

• oukanna
  • Vanguard
  • Slacker's Canon Fodder
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »
lol ^_^ ty thogh :-)

I would hate to live in the stone age, with no lights...hot water.....pc.....internet xdD

• Steady27
  • Vanguard
  • Ember's Experimental Blob
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »
Oh, I thought that you just ditched me and chibi. Ditching me for not waiting for HB in DD or somit lol. I thought that you were just gonna do some other HM missions on your own. Then I realised that you two went offline XD

Anyway, nice to hear word of what happened, glad you're ok ^___^

• Kalendraf
  • Vanguard
  • Legendary Champion
  • Filthy Casual
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
Hopefully no one was harmed by it.

Back in the mid-90's a co-worker of mine was driving by a power substation when one of the large transformers blew up (which can happen when they fail).  It released a huge burst of energy, much of it in the form of light & heat.  He was temporarily blinded by it, and one entire side of his face ended up getting the equivalent of a bad case of sunburn.  Fortunately, no one was near him on the road, and he was able to slow his car and find his way to the curb to park it.

It is very likely that the explosion and fire near you was the result of some part of the electrical equipment simply failing.  The most common times when this happens are when there are big surges happening on the line, and that is typically during thunderstorms.  However, they can also fail in clear weather, usually as a result of fluxuations on the power grid.  But even without lightning or power fluxuations, it's possible for the hardware to fail due to a few other reasons too, including age or improper maintenance.  Once one piece fails, it can have a domino effect - the power load that the failed piece was handling then gets placed on other nearby equipment which is not able to handle the load.  The series of smaller explosions were most likely a combination of that, plus the fact that the fire was damaging them further.  The investigation should be able to prove that pretty quickly.

Proud owner of GWAMM & 50/50 HoM

• Chibi
  • Slacker's Canon Fodder
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:20:52 AM »
I think I was on my way to a big afk at that moment XD

Good thing no one got hurt though

• oukanna
  • Vanguard
  • Slacker's Canon Fodder
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »
Thanks for the info Kalendraf, i hope that was just the reason.

Sorry matt :( im not that rude though lol wouldnt of just randomly left to do another hm mission on my own xDDD

• Moa Lith
  • Officers
  • YSBT's White Stallion
  • I'm a flightless bird / Moa Lith.8140
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
Quote from: "oukanna"
We had no electricity for 3 hours T_T

They are doing major repairs in my street (changing the sewer pipes) and while digging, they accidently cut the cable wire (since in my town, all the wires are under the earth) so since yesterday morning.....no tv and no internet at home. *No TV and no beer makes Moa something something...*

The worst thing...I don't know when the cable company will come and repair it :x

• jbsdoll
  • Vanguard
  • Ember's Experimental Blob
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
Oukanna, so glad you are alright! YIkes
HANNAH

• oukanna
  • Vanguard
  • Slacker's Canon Fodder
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:02 AM »
Ouch Moa that sucks :(

Ty Jbsdoll ^_^

I won't be going near that thing for a while xDD

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
We are 4 streets away from the place where the explosion was, which is roughly 666 yards (2000 feet) away from us, so we werent really in any danger except for lack of internet deprevation. The investigation into the explosion as far as i know is still on going but the area there around the box is black as you would expect :P

"I did my time and I want out!" Psychosocial (SlipKnot: 2008)

• oukanna
  • Vanguard
  • Slacker's Canon Fodder
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 06:56:19 AM »
Tough thing the box xDDD

its all black and still works now lol

I wonder if they will come back and put a new one in or something.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
Well i doubt that the box is working because an explosion that size would have fried all the circuit boards in the box itself, and if not the heat would have :P

My theory is that they have routed our power from the next junction box into the areas affected by the "blast" of the main box.

"I did my time and I want out!" Psychosocial (SlipKnot: 2008)

• Kalendraf
  • Vanguard
  • Legendary Champion
  • Filthy Casual
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »
That is how power lines work essentially.  Everything is connected on a grid, so if one substation drops off, other substations pick up the slack.  That works as long as the power lines are intact.  However, it can also have side effects, such as temporary brown-outs or power fluxuations.  For example, if region A in a city suffers a substation drop-out or wires are knocked down during a storm, then regions B, C & D may momentarily suffer a brown-out or massive fluxuations as the power is rebalanced.

In cases where the transmission lines are damaged, then an entire section within a region may be without power until the key lines or other elements are replaced.

Also, in power transmission, there are not many circuit boards involved.  It's mostly big stuff like power lines, transformers and giant capacitors.  Some sensors that monitor the power delivery will no doubt have chips and circuit boards, but the actual power delivery doesn't pass thru them.

Proud owner of GWAMM & 50/50 HoM

• Moa Lith
  • Officers
  • YSBT's White Stallion
  • I'm a flightless bird / Moa Lith.8140
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
Quote from: "Moa Lith"
Quote from: "oukanna"
We had no electricity for 3 hours T_T

They are doing major repairs in my street (changing the sewer pipes) and while digging, they accidently cut the cable wire (since in my town, all the wires are under the earth) so since yesterday morning.....no tv and no internet at home. *No TV and no beer makes Moa something something...*

The worst thing...I don't know when the cable company will come and repair it :x

Okay...they connected us to the neighbor connection. I won't be able to play anytime time. Right now, it takes like 3-4 minutes to load a page so I don't even want to know how it will be in GW or in any other multiplayer game lol