Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length


News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Indian Immigration  (Read 908 times)

Indian Immigration
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
Abusive NRI beaten up at airport
18 Jan 2008, 0142 hrs IST,Manju V & Nitasha Natu,TNN
MUMBAI: It was a never-before-witnessed scene: an NRI being beaten up by immigration authorities at the international terminal of the Mumbai airport.

On Thursday morning, a family of seven had an altercation, which eventually ended in a round of fisticuffs, with some immigration officials, even as police were called in to control the situation. However, both the parties decided not to file a police case.

According to airport sources, the incident took place around 6.15 am when the family that was to board an Air India flight reached the immigration counter with several baggage trolleys. "They had an argument with the airline officials as they had excess baggage. At the immigration counter, they were told to leave their trolleys behind. This incensed the group and one of them started referring to the immigration officials in a derogatory manner using casteist slurs," the sources said.

"The remarks angered an immigration official who, along with his colleagues, held on to the trolleys and told the family that they will not be allowed to board the flight and would be offloaded," said an airport source. One of the passengers then pulled the trolley and in the scuffle that ensued, an immigration officer got hit on his lips. "This triggered a violent reaction and soon a group of officers were ruthlessly beating up one of the family members in full view of others. It was shocking to see a passenger being beaten up like this," the airport source added.

Around 6.30 am, Sahar police officers were called and informed about the incident. "An inspector and a sub-inspector rushed to the spot to check. The immigration officials by then had decided to hand over the passengers to the police for using abusive language. Probably, the two groups reached some understanding and no case was filed with the police," said a source from the Sahar police station. "When the police reached the spot, they asked the passenger whether he wanted to lodge a complaint. Since the family did not want to, the police returned to the station around 9.30 am and made a note of the incident," the source added.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Chronical Song »