Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls MMO rumors gather  (Read 3055 times)

Elder Scrolls MMO rumors gather
« on: November 27, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/pc/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20071127118194011&releaseId=2006032219817514003

Great, looks like it's finally the death of one of the greatest single Player RPG series out there. No game that I know has as much history and depth, and I'm worried the entire elder scrolls series will be ruined for me by this game. The last thing i want is to be someone on Tamriel and have some jaska$$ 14 yr old calling people noobs. The immersion to the elder scrolls world will be ruined by an MMO, IMHO. It's the last rpg I actually role play anymore. I have such fond memories of Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. I'm probably one of the few left that even reads all the books in the games and then debates the lore on their forums (because I'm a loser like that, haha).

Either way, I still trust bethesda, since they've made great games in the past, but since it's their first MMO, and theyre so damn good at the single player experience, I have my worries. I still hope they make an TES:V, and don't move entirely to MMOs.  :(

-Atom Action
in my infinite sorrow
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Atom Action! »

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »
Ah, I remember Daggerfall. At the time, it was the most mind boggling game ever. The world was insanely huge! You could travel everywhere, take a zillion quests, join guilds, blah blah. Heck, I don't think I ever even bothered with the storyline, I was too busy doing side stuff. I always felt the later Elder Scrolls games were pretty much the same thing in a new package though. And by then, I had gotten over the idea that 1 little CD could contain that big of a world.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ella Flame »

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
Yeah, the next TES:III Morrowind, and TES:IV Oblivion are very much like daggerfall, but less land mass, less guilds, better graphics (obviously). The best part is, each game gets built up on the previous events and lore of the past games, and even the first game in the series, TES: Arena, had a rich amount of depth and lore and history to the setting/universe of the elder scrolls. I just love that about it.

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
You are right....

Unfortunately, the Elder Scrolls series would NOT fit with MMO

My reasoning:

Like Atom said, we dont want some little kids (I am around that age... I dont treat people like that...) calling people noobs in Cyradill. Also, if they made it bigger, and more varieties of terrain (although it is fairly large) it would need many more elements in it to make it a more effective mmo.

I do like the fact though that you can sit in chairs and such.

Another downside is, the stat stacking spells and scrolls. If you arent familiar with the game, this is when someone keeps using a stat boosting spell over and over until their stats are incredibly high, and then jump far distances, have weapons be one hit over kills, have spells that seem nuclear (fire spells, when the shot spreads flames in all directions with a lot of force behind it.) and long shot arrow snipers.

The PvP would need improvement.

It would be hilarious if you could smite anyone anywhere outside of the cities, but it would be very unfair for anyone who is too weak to survive. The whole levels of wilderness thing wouldnt be fair either, since people would just run out of the wilderness. (Much like runescape). Another thing, there isnt a level cap (at least I dont think so, havent gotten high enough to know). Someone who is lifeless could just go along and get insanely high skills, be like a god, and attempt to jump from one end of the world to another.

The economy would be unstable. There isnt much you can make on your own, but that is like guild wars in a way. Also, the loot on a lot of things isnt worth squat, where in guild wars you could get 20 g off of something that just happened to get in your way, so farming rare items would be a downside.

Adding to the part where I said you couldnt hardly make anything, if I remember correctly, making potions is like spell stacking. You can stack skooma for example, and jump across that one river valley in I want to say Bravil.

Maybe owning a pet or taming a wild monster would be cool?

Also, there arent a lot of tough beast to kill. Most of them are either too easy to find, or arent as much of a challenge as they should be. If you could add a nightmare full of monsters and more areas to find them, high five.

Another thing is hoarding a monster/monsters. If you have a strong enough group, you can pretty much annihilate anything in your way.

With all due respect, its a great idea, but needs much refining.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Roara »

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:27:46 PM »
Well.... I doubt a TES:MMO would be anything like Oblivion but online....

I'm 100% they would balance it out. I kind of imagine it like GW with the whole of Nirn (the world of TES) or at least the continent of Tamriel... with the TES races, and spell set (most of them). It would be very unique, and would already have a fair size fanbase, though I think the biggest TES fans (like myself) would avoid it if Bethesda still made single player TES games.
We'll just have to wait and see...

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
I was deeply in love with Elder Scroll series... but once Oblivion got out, Blood told me not to bother playing it... he was dissapointed in it I think... and I fear that an MMO of this wonderful game would be ruining my fond memories!

I remember using codes for cheating in that game... making my character jump up in the sky... or swim without breathing... by setting the attributes to max or something... hahaha
And Blood used to make me secret treasures with the plug-in/addon construction-set thingy...
Good times :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Devaberiel »
Life gets better when you are older. . . . .  unless you\'re a banana
-------------------------------------------------------
Ingame: Devaberiel Vanmer

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 05:11:36 PM »
Not bother with Oblivion?
 I loved Oblivion, not as much as Morrowind, but still immensly fun and worth the money, IMHO.

for me it goes:
TES:III Morrowind
TES:IV Oblivion
TES:II Daggerfall
Never played TES: I Arena
or the TES:Adventure games battlespire and redguard.

I know daggerfall is the largest game of them, with the most options, but even so, the options and quests are way better implimented(sp?) in the sequals, and I'm a graphics whore. Ha.

• Leah the Slayer
  • Vanguard
  • Venia's Deck Swabber
  • thenerevarine.9320 on Guild Wars 2 (Lenora)
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »
ohh beloved elderscrolls

(i has morrowind and morrowinds 2 expansions)

hmm but yeah dont think mmo would work too great
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Leah the Slayer »

• Allie
  • Vanguard
  • Kovenito's Potion Maker
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 09:52:35 PM »
I agree with Atom. Not all franchises should be made into an MMO and some things are much more immersive if it's single-player. Although, I must admit that I'm a tad bit curious regarding the rumour that Bioware is making a new MMO (KotOR-based? Jade Empire-based? Mass Effect-based? Forgotten Realms/Baldur's Gate!? :shock: ).

I'm still waiting for Fallout 3 to come. I -REALLY- hope Bethesda doesn't screw this one up. I mean, they've done a terrific job with TES series but Fallout is an RPG whose style and flavour are very unique, I can't help to have doubts. Some have voiced concerns that it'll be Oblivion in a Fallout setting. If that's true, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen. I, for one, still hope for it to maintain the style and flavour that have inspired the first two games.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Allie »

~allie (Alustrielisha Moon)
"The cake is a lie."

• Felix
  • YSBT's Noble Steed
    • http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=Felixthekitten
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 12:04:49 AM »
ima totellyh buy Pirates of The Burning Sea! Pirate MMO FTW lululululululul!
Okay, so honestly, i never played Oblivion because of my lack of an Xbox or a worthy computer, but from what i've seen online, i might want an TES MMO.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Felix »
~ The one and only: Felix.
A.K.A; Yarwen Palarian.

Thank you for being there.

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 03:09:44 AM »
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has online play on the xbox 360, although I haven't tried it out, I am eager to. It may just be for downloads and extra content, like I said, I haven't tried it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Eziekial Stone »

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
Quote from: "Eziekial Stone"
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has online play on the xbox 360, although I haven't tried it out, I am eager to. It may just be for downloads and extra content, like I said, I haven't tried it.

It is just the ability to DL new content, and see who's online....

Bioware MMO? I've always though a forgotten realms MMO in a similiar style like neverwinter nights (though better camera angle, updated graphic, etc etc) would be awesome, but i think too much OOC talk would ruin the immersion for me and send me back to my single player RPGs and books... hah

-Atom
I have no shame

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
I still play Morrowind - what a totally awesome game!!!!   :D   I have spent WAY more time exploring than I have following the storyline, but with the way the game is designed that doesn't matter one bit!  As far as I am concerned, the side quests and dungeon exploring are what make the game!!!  I think that if this game was made into an MMO it would be ruined - it would just become another world in which to fight, barter, and grind; all of its uniqueness would just vanish!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by geckoman »
What is Normal really, besides a mid-sized town in Illinois?