Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Dunkirk Review  (Read 60 times)

• Talia
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Champion
  • Talia.7412
    • The Charter Vanguard
Dunkirk Review
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
Coming from one of the most highly acclaimed directors of today, Christopher Nolan; is a WW2 war movie about the real life events at Dunkirk, France. Knowing very little about this war, all that scandal surrounding this movie in regards to whitewashing and absent Indian soldiers didn't really bother me. I did take into account a particular interview a paper had with a veteran war soldier who cried after watching this film because of how realistically war was portrayed here. I like to see war for what it really is - brutal, unforgiving and random with life. It's easier that way to understand the sacrifices that were made by our forefathers in the name of peace that's so easily taken for granted today.

The film itself goes back and forth in time to present the viewpoints of three individuals, never stating clearly what day/time they're at currently - until the point where their paths cross. I know such story format has been done before in a more modern setting, but it's easier to tell where and when you are when you're not in a hectic war setting. It certainly took a while to get used to the format, and it helped that I recognized some of the actors from Christopher Nolan's collection of 'Dark Knight' actors like Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy, otherwise it would've been even more confusing.

Like any war movie, we see several acts of compassion, kindness, and mercy, amid the darker tones of self-preservation and nationalism. Most war movies tend to present a measure of offensive and defensive/survival tactics, but in Dunkirk, it's almost completely defensive/survival due to a most atrociously weak battle strategy from the top down. 40 thousand men stranded on a beach, waiting to go home while being rained upon by bombers. The only defense provided for the numerous destroyers being sunk by the bombers being just three fighter planes. Yes... THREE. I'm not sure how Britain can hold its head up high after this massive fail - but the pilots of those three planes should certainly be hailed with the highest regard, as well as the many civilian yachts that came to the soldiers' rescue. And yes, I'm no historian, so this is all new to me.

Aside from the confusing switches in time and locations, I have to say that the cinematography is absolutely beautiful, especially when we're given the point of view of the pilots. Those scenes make it worth it to watch this film on the big screen. Acting is also of high caliber, no surprise there - we are talking about Christopher Nolan after all. Even the role Harry Styles (front man from the band, One Direction) was given wasn't too shabby. If I'm not wrong this was his first foray into the big screen.

One other noticeable thing was the soundtrack from Hans Zimmer. It built up the intensity of each moment where lives were on the line, and the film's pace quickened - even though sometimes its intention was a little too obvious and if one takes a step back from the action, the constant hammering of tones might be a bit irritating. I find the best soundtracks build up the tension without feeling too overt.

Something about the movie that made me snicker was Tom Hardy's fighter pilot character that had that breathing piece over his mouth for most part of the movie, speaking in muffled tones, just as he had in Dark Knight Rises, and got propelled into parody-infamy for his "Bane-speak". It's hard for someone who's seen Dark Knight Rises to go in there and not make a connection to Bane - to add to that, Bane also had an elaborate scene in the air, so the similarities are quite unmistakable.

In conclusion, Dunkirk was a very informative movie (for me), I like the sense of realism - feeling like I was among those brave men years ago, and the cinematography. But I just can't get over the switching back and forth between past, present and future with no discernible marking in the scene to get a better idea of where this particular scene fits into the main plot. As much as Hollywood is in love with Christopher Nolan, sometimes I disagree with his style of filmmaking, this is one of them. For that, it drops a few notches in my overall rating.

7.5/10 from me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:56:22 AM by Talia »