Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: The Journal of Sister Saxifrage  (Read 524 times)

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
The Journal of Sister Saxifrage
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:36:02 PM »
((Comments welcome!))

78 Zephyr 1330 - I have finished cataloguing the anatomical samples I extracted from the Silverwastes Mordrem. It was such a complete collection, acquired at such peril, that the personnel stationed there awarded me a set of armor imbued with bioluminescence. And yet here in the Priory itself, the most common reaction I get is irritation that I could not somehow bring back a whole preserved creature. I'd have been better off trading the parts to that asuran cryptobotanist; at least then I'd have more to show for my efforts than a monograph collecting dust on a shelf.

I should stick around, agitate for a chance to deliver a guest lecture, but I already know I won't. When I arrived, I was just so grateful to see snow instead of sand, and growing things that were neither Mordrem, nor me, nor Veggiedog. But there's only so much time I can take underground in the archives before I long to breathe fresh air again, and feel new lands under my feet.

There's also Veggiedog's pup to consider. It does seem to have formed a firm attachment, refusing to wander far even when we are in sylvari territory (much to my own hound's bemusement). Since Veg awakened with me, that makes me the pup's auntie, after a fashion, and no pup in my care will grow up without proper seasoning.

I am considering an expedition to Ascalon, specifically to the Dragonbrand. We know less about the Branded than we do the Icebrood, or the Destroyers. So many dragon minions, so little time!

((Edited to remove a reference to the pup 'budding off' my pooch - I thought I'd read some did that but apparently they all drop straight off the Tree.))
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:02:00 PM by Sister »

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
Re: The Private Journal of Sister Saxifrage, Durmand Priory Explorer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
88 Zephyr 1330 - My first day exploring the Brand did not go well, but it was very exciting! The terrain is something to see - not only the life there but the very land itself was changed by Kralkatorrik's passage overhead. I was so engrossed in my surveying that I wandered into a cave west of Tenaebron Lake without considering the signs... both the more subtle signs such as the sudden dearth of creatures, and the literal warning sign warding off solitary explorers such as myself. Embarrassing. Frankly, I think I deserved to be clubbed over the head by that massive branded ogre.

But, as you can see, I lived to tell the tale! I was rescued by a valiant norn named Diana Princee. She says Veggiedog led her to me just in time. She serves in the Ebon Vanguard! Quite unusual! It turns out she is in fact half-norn, and by serving in the Vanguard she is following in her father's footsteps. She seemed quite pleased when I declared she would receive a dedication in whatever I publish on the Brand. Maybe it's just my scrambled sap talking, but I am thinking of writing something less scholarly, and more useful to people on the ground, like her.

I will be recovering from the attack for a few days, and I owe a debt of loyalty to Diana, so I shall be attaching myself to her for now. Her work certainly seems to bring her quite a bit of intrigue! When I retired for the evening she was deep in discussion with a young man named Aidan, who is tracking a woman who managed to be involved with both the Separatists AND the White Mantle. I look forward to assisting in the search.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:03:54 PM by Sister »

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
Re: The Journal of Sister Saxifrage
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
89 Zephyr 1330 - Plots! Mysteries! General human faction shenanigans! I spent today helping Diana and Aidan search for their suspect. Her name is Andrea, she has red hair, and she's a noble; that's literally all Aidan would say about her, even when pressed. But it was enough to go on. Knowing the Separatist penchant for smuggling, I had the bright idea to ask a shopkeeper who was clearly NOT a smuggler if they resented any of their neighbours in the market for having more inventory than they could afford to stock honestly. Sure enough, a tanner with a meager stock of very fine hides (as opposed to the kind brought in in disintegrating bales) identified a chef, AND said she noticed him meeting a woman who fit Andrea's description several nights ago!

The chef was blatantly "dirty", as an investigator would say. Fresh cassava, live mussels with that telltale bloodstone sheen and smell, myriad herbs and spices all found primarily in Bloodstone Fen - I would have bet anything he was getting most of his goods portalled in by White Mantle mesmers, circumventing the asura gates and the associated import duties. I questioned him as best I could, but he was evasive, and not particularly intimidated by a sylvari half his size. Diana made much more headway! She has law-enforcement training, of course, but being norn-sized in a human town doesn't hurt either. Her presence commands instant respect. She walked away with the name of a local farmer, Aaron. He is supposedly bringing supplies to the hiding Andrea.

Our current plan is to follow Aaron to Andrea's hiding place. Veggiedog has his scent - a more successful bit of subterfuge by yours truly! It's not every day you see a sylvan pup outside the Grove or Caledon, and whatever Aaron's crimes, he has a professional interest in animals. I distracted him with the pup while Veg got a good, proper whiff. Now? Now we're on stakeout. No better opportunity to update my journal.

(I hope Diana didn't notice I couldn't finish the sandwich she gave me. It was big enough to keep a norn on their feet, and in talking about my work I accidentally mentioned the Mordrem and lost my appetite. I definitely studied them a little too long. It made me quite heartsick to see those mindless slaves, full of another being's blind malice, and know that only the good fortune and fortitude of our Mother kept my people from being born into their ranks. And even then, so many of us broke immediately... Anyway, Veg thought it was his lucky day when he got to eat a whole half a chicken sandwich! Here's hoping the rich food doesn't make him break out in flowers overnight; I've no time for pruning at the moment.)

It looks to be a long wait. I'll update again with the results of our hunt!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:26:23 PM by Sister »

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
~90 Zephyr 1330 - Oh, rot and blight and beetle borers, I've made a mess of things yet again.

After a couple of false starts, Veggiedog picked up Aaron's trail and followed it very well. I had to keep casting cleanses on the rats in our path so that he wouldn't get distracted, but otherwise the tracking went smoothly, through ogre territory (we bested more than a few, them and their hyenas) right up to the gates of a Charr garrison. A guard there stopped us, and while we were answering questions we were attacked by a company of Separatists.

It was a protracted battle, but we held fast. Aidan is a particularly efficient fighter; whatever business he has with Andrea must call for more than knives, or it would be settled already.

We surmised that the attackers were sent by Aaron; evidently we didn't follow him as stealthily as we thought we did. So many humans, so many of whom had contact with our target - the trail was hopelessly muddied, beyond poor Veg's ability to pick up again. But luck was with us still! The guard knew where the Separatists likely came from, and gave us directions to their stronghold.

Such as it was, anyway - it was less of a stronghold and more of a rats' nest, a maze of tunnels infested with harpies, spiders, river drakes, and breeze riders. These last two were concentrated along a small underground stream, which Diana pointed out must be how the Separatists are surviving. That they are willing to dwell in such a damp, smelly hole, and defend it by riddling the surrounding land with mines, is a testament to the good work of the Vanguard in driving them back.

Anyway, we made it past all these dangers and into the heart of their camp, and then realized we might have overextended ourselves: there were three of us, and considerably more than three of them. As luck would have it, the fern pup chose that moment to start yapping at something. While I was hushing it up and Diana was trying to hide us, Veg got away from me and bit a Separatist who came down to investigate. Of course I had to run in after him, which blew our cover completely. I tried my best to fight my way back out, and I might even have made it had I not taken a stray hammer to the back of the head. Aidan came to help me, and tried to make me leave without him, which of course I wouldn't do. But I'm afraid I wasn't much help. I can't be sure, because my vision was compromised - which was a big part of the problem - but I think I may have run into a wall.

Things got even more blurry after that. I think Diana got away; certainly she isn't here with me now. I hope Veggiedog and the pup got away; the bond we share tells me Veg is alive and unharmed, and since he isn't here that would suggest he is safe elsewhere. I vaguely recall telling him to go find Diana. But then I also remember sitting at a study carrel in the Priory, trying to make a sandwich out of a live squid. It was getting ink all over my notes... Bottom line, I really need to avoid any more head injuries for a while.

Anyway, that leaves just me and Aidan, imprisoned behind enemy lines. I got the impression he disliked me before; he's sure to be furious with me now. He's asleep at the moment. Hopefully I can cheer him up with the information that I've been able to get untied. Apparently these human-centric Separatists didn't know what to make of my vine backpack (possibly assuming it was part of my body?), and left it alone. Naturally, with a little encouragement, it picked loose the knots at my wrists. I was even able to reach my journal, so I'm taking a moment to update my notes and take stock of the situation.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:08:11 PM by Sister »

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »
92 Zephyr 1330 - So much has happened since the last time I had a chance to update my records. I'll simply go in order.

I woke Aidan up, and I was able to untie his hands as well, leaving the ropes as a loose bracelet for show, like mine. I tried to apologize for getting us caught (although I don't know what I could have done differently), but he didn't seem to want to talk about it.

A guard offered us some "food", which I think was an attempt to provoke us more than anything. It worked, especially as I was only half-acting the part of a belligerent concussion victim. He threatened to start cutting off my leaves. I gambled on Separatist ignorance of other races yet again and told him my sap was so acidic he would lose fingers - a successful bluff, and perhaps the start of a useful myth.

Another guard joined in on the "fun", and we tried to sell them the story that I was a researcher and Aidan was my hired bodyguard. Unfortunately our playacting went too far, and we began to argue half in earnest. I thought nothing of it when I said Aidan's name, but the smarter of the two guards was immediately VERY interested, and went to tell "the boss".

Aidan jumped into action, keen to avoid whatever was coming next. We made a break for it, slipping a lockpick to a caged charr on our way out (they tied us up because they reserve the cages for their most hated enemies) but they cut us off at the mouth of the cave. The leader of the little band of miscreants was a large, scarred man who works closely with this Andrea - who, as it turns out, is none other than Aidan's aunt!

There was no time to digest this revelation. We were taken deeper into the caves - and caged this time, in a squalid "office" - for more interrogation, which was interrupted by the woman herself. Evil Auntie Andrea. Turns out *she* can get a rise out of Aidan - I heard him say ten times as much in a short confrontation with her than in the several days I'd known him previously. Much of it went over my head, but I got the gist: manipulations and machinations every which way. Aidan's father disowning him; some other relative named Henry separated from an infertile wife, made critically dependent, and then abandoned; and I got the distinct impression that's only the tip of the iceberg. Bad blood, an ocean of it. Aidan not wanting to talk about it makes perfect sense now: if he took the time to air his grievances he'd never get to do anything else. They cut it short themselves to resume threatening each other in the here and now; Aidan said he came to give her to chance to turn herself in to the authorities (incredible as it sounds, I believe him - he did go straight to Diana on his arrival), and she replied that the only authority in reach was hers.

Andrea's scarred henchman (a Mr. Goodman) was about to shoot us for her, but she chose to leave me to Goodman after killing Aidan. She began by inflicting him with a burning illusion. I was countering with a healing well when a great ruckus arose outside Goodman's "office". Diana and the Vanguard had come back for us! Andrea and Goodman bickered over taking us with them, or killing us. Andrea started to cut Aidan down with a sword. He dodged, and crashed into the wall. Just then I could hear howling. Veggiedog had returned! Covered in mud and brambles, he looked more like a Nightmare Court thorn hound at that moment, but I can't recall a more welcome sight! I didn't have any weapons, but I could still take root and summon seed mortars, so I did - too late to stop Andrea from getting away, unfortunately.

Diana found us then. Aidan discovered he was bleeding - Andrea got a hit on him after all. I was able to put pressure on his arm (such as it was - flesh is terrifyingly soft and fragile, like holding a jellyfish) while we tried to figure out how to open the cage without Goodman's key. The charr Aidan passed a lockpick to earlier showed up just then, and used the lockpick to free us! Diana carried Aidan out, while the charr took down several Separatists in our path with Diana's longbow (Veggiedog also took one down. Good dog!).

We escaped back into allied charr territory, and I got what I think was a decent bandage onto Aidan's arm. He didn't start gushing fluids again, anyway. Human medicine is not my strong suit. Finally I got to see Veg up close again. We were only apart briefly, and it was for his safety, but I missed him badly. It wasn't until I got to hug him that I realized he did break out into flowers, after all. Those Separatists he tackled died smelling like a perfumery.

The three of us had a quiet moment to catch up, while Aidan cleaned his wound, and we all ate a little. Except Veg, who ate an entire giant slab of raw meat brought by a well-meaning charr; I'll be pruning flowers off the accursed hound for days. After that we pushed on to Ebonhawke. Aidan laid down to have his wound stitched - stitched! Can you believe it? Like cloth! - and I went to give Veg some desperately-needed bathing and gardening.

(The pup remains at large. I'm sure it's fine; sylvan pups are as fast as rabbits and hide as well as a blade of grass. I'll be relieved when it turns up again, all the same.)

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »
93 Zephyr 1330 - A less-eventful morning, for once. I woke to find Diana in the guardhouse, being bothered by Veggiedog, who by now is at least as fond of her as I am. We had a good conversation about the nature of sylvan hounds, her family, and Aidan's work. His order, the Shining Blade, works directly in the human queen's interest; given that Aidan's pursuit of his aunt does appear to be official business, one surmises that her misdeeds go beyond tormenting her own family.

Aidan got a letter from someone; he wouldn't say who, but it was sealed and hand-delivered. He headed down into the market, and Diana and I followed soon after. I intend to resume my studies in the Brand today, so I worked up a rough magiscope. We're headed into the Dragonbrand now. Aidan is staying behind to rest and catch up on correspondence.

*the next paragraph is an angry scrawl, with oddly thin and jerky script, although it appears to be the same hand*

Blast. I just can't catch a break. I was making my way up to the research team on the north end of Tenaebron Lake, and started finding experimental capacitors strewn on the ground. My magiscope showed they were stationed near concentrations of Branded energy. Diana and I reset a few (summoning Branded sparks, very interesting!), and I found one on the top of a little hill of crystal outcroppings. The patterns viewable through the scope were fascinating, so I decided to activate it and see what happened.

Well, I suppose I should count my blessings. The resulting explosion of energy could have killed me, or blinded me. Instead it merely destroyed my magiscope, and shrunk me to a quarter of my usual size. The first Charr researchers I met were more amused than helpful. Diana is better at persuading useful information out of them than I am. Here's hoping a simple solution can be found soon. I don't like being tiny; it's not natural. Sylvari are supposed to be exactly the same size our entire lives.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:32:46 PM by Sister »

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
98 Zephyr 1330 - After the initial shock wore off, I felt less alarmed about being tiny and more intrigued. As Scholar Delfa pointed out, this is an interesting data point regarding Kralkatorrik's magical alignment relative to the late, unlamented Mordremoth's.

(I said this to Diana, but it bears repeating: I never noticed before how asura are far from delicate. For their size, they're surprisingly broad and burly. I was only slightly shorter than Delfa and I'm sure she had four times my mass.)

It did, however, put a stop to any further investigations in the Brand for now. I can take a hint: two misadventures in as many excursions is enough for me to focus my attention elsewhere.

Diana and I played a funny trick on Aidan when we got back: she picked me up, and I went as stiff as I could while she pretended I had been turned into a doll! Aidan was concerned at first, then confused as to why Diana wanted him to hold me while she "got the healer", then suspicious. Then I cracked up. He was not amused. The shrinking effect wore off shortly after that, which I have to say I am grateful for. Aidan is enough of a sourpuss to deal with at my regular size.

I tried to speak to Aidan about how levity and finding joy in life can be one way to deny a victory to his aunt, but he didn't want to listen. Nevermind that it's a subject I do have a passing familiarity with, having been born to be a slave along with my Mother and my entire people, many of whom did surrender when called. But enough of that. Diana's colleagues uncovered a lead on Goodman, Andrea's accomplice!

Alistar Goodman's last known address led us to his ex-wife, Marion. Apparently our ever-less-aptly-named quarry was abusive to her and kidnapped their daughter, Sarah, years ago. The final straw was the girl's friendship with a Charr cub she called Tokky. Apparently before and after Sarah disappeared, this child made his way, alone, into the heart of Separatist-riddled Ebonhawke multiple times to see her. He'd have left the fahrar for a warband by now, but he or someone who remembers him may still be in the area. And the Charr know more about the Separatist strongholds in the area than the Vanguard. I think this "Tokky" could be a valuable ally in our search, and I intend to look for him.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:54:56 AM by Sister »

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
99 Zephyr 1330 - The search for Sarah Goodman's childhood friend has been postponed, as a contact of Aidan's provided us with an actual address for Sarah Goodman herself! Diana and I will be going to Ascalon Settlement in northern Kryta to investigate. If we can find her, and if she hasn't been turned by her father and his people, AND if we can bring her home safe, I do still intend to track down Tokky afterwards. People always deserve to know the fates of their loved ones.

I am realizing I know comparatively little human history. If I keep wandering into human places, I really should brush up at some point.

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »
100 Zephyr 1330 - Thinking tonight about the Nightmare Court. En route to Ascalon Settlement, Diana and I got to talking about our respective communities, and the challenges they face. The Nightmare Court have lost a great deal of credibility (and the lion's share of their former numbers), but they are still a threat. Anyway, those who survive encounters with them tell us that aside from the gratuitous murder, the Court has a fairly standard approach of confining and torturing prisoners until they are willing to do the same to others - truly willing, even happy. This is what it means to have "fallen to Nightmare".

Sarah Goodman did not fall. She endured years of abuse at the hands of her father and a hideous offshoot of the human religion of the Six, and she was sufficiently intimidated to be allowed outside with minimal supervision, but she had no victims of her own. She seems mentally younger than her sixteen years (I think? My grasp of human maturation stages is... fuzzy at best), and afraid to even think that what her captors told her and did to her was wrong, but I have hope that in time, she will recover.

Her childlike demeanour was a boon to us, in fact. We tried multiple tacks to try and convince her to come with us (it was obvious to both Diana and I that it had to be her choice - yet another forcible abduction would be disastrous). The one that finally worked was her friend Tokky. Despite him being the catalyst for her abduction, the cult is more focused on slavish obedience to the self-appointed speakers for the Six than on hatred for "inferior" races, and Sarah has been taking comfort in thoughts of her friend all this time. The prospect of seeing him again was enough to lure her away from the settlement. I kept her moving with patter about sylvari nightglow, and sylvan hounds and pups, all the way into an inn in Lion's Arch.

She's sleeping now, bedded down with the pup. I gave her the job of snuggling with it to keep it from running away in the night. She seemed happy enough to do that, and of course the pup is pleased with the undivided attention. I've still instructed Veggiedog to raise the alarm if she tries to go back to her captors, though.

She's been badly poisoned against her mother, Marion Goodman. I'm not at all sure going straight to her is a good plan. I think we should prove ourselves honest, and do what we said we were going to do: search for Tokky. The more time Sarah has away from that horrible place, the more her spirit will wake up... and the more we can gently pump her for information about her father's activities and whereabouts. We've done a good deed today, but there is yet another prize out there: bringing evil men and women to justice, and perhaps winning freedom for more innocents like Sarah.

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 01:23:17 AM »
102 Zephyr 1330 - The search for Tokky commences! We managed to escort Sarah Goodman back to Ebonhawke without incident, and have made our way to the large Charr camp to the east.

Aidan has joined our little procession, and without any need for false pretences. Sarah is willing to admit that she never liked her father's "friends", and it seems the cult she was stored with does not see perfectly eye-to-eye with the Separatists, ideologically. Their priorities seem to have been: 1. Submission to the [humans who claim to speak for the] gods; 2. Human supremacy over the other races, who are also made to submit to the gods. Whereas the Separatists' priorities are: 1. Eradicate the Charr; 2. Overthrow the Krytan monarchy. (I'm getting better at human politics!) So you can see how Sarah's worldview, even brainwashed as it is, was not threatened by the knowledge that her father associated with some bad people, one of whom is bad enough our friend is hunting them.

(The human supremacy idea can, I think, be eroded with simple time away from the temple and exposure to other races. Its already shallow roots only took hold in conditions of great isolation and degradation. Sarah is already visibly uncomfortable repeating her captor's words on the subject around Diana and me.)

The Iron Legion representative in the camp already managed to produce a promising name from their membership rolls: a Tokkra. We will seek him out shortly.

There has been another new development, one which I think may also prove valuable in restoring this poor sprout: the sylvan pup shows every sign of becoming firmly attached to her. It allows her to touch it and carry it far more often than it ever allowed me - delights in it, even. We don't know for sure that the hounds have anything akin to Wyld Hunts, but they do seem to make it clear when they've found a person they were looking for. I do not think the pup will stand for being separated from Sarah now. And this is an opportunity: to take proper care of the pup, she will need to acknowledge what is and is not appropriate treatment of living things, and in so doing may reflect on the idea that what was done to her was wrong. I am sad at the idea of an imminent parting with the pup, but happy that it seems to have found its purpose, and a noble one at that.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:15:46 AM by Sister »

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »
The following is not an excerpt from the journal, but rather appears to have once been tacked to a bulletin board:

Dear crusty old fussbudget

Dear dusty old busybody

Dear Steward Gixx,

Thank you ever so much for sending a blind teenager to check up on my whereabouts. Message received loud and clear.

Let me reiterate that I am FINE. I only got clubbed over the head by the one ogre. And then some Separatists. And then ran into a wall. And then got beshrunkened in the Brand. And then got completely blotto.

But my head is fine! And as she stated in our joint paper, Scholar Delfa doesn't think I sustained any damage while miniaturized. She did suggest I not wander into any more concentrations of crystal dragon energy whilst wearing an amplifying magiscope lens strapped to my head, and that other sylvari should probably avoid doing the same. She did NOT say that a less ethical asura would want to see exactly that with considerably more monitoring equipment handy, because she's a good egg. All the Priory asura are good eggs. No experiments on unconsenting live sentients here, nope. Good job.

But I digress! I am still in Ascalon, though not currently researching anything specific. Execpt charr whsikey. Whoo! If someone hasn't weaponized it they should. Maybe the Vigil.

ANYway,, we got that baddie we were after. Bad dad. Goodman is a verry ironic name when younthink abiut it. We even found Sarahs fuzzy friend! He wasn't a little furball anymkre, but a great bug blacksmith instead, but he was so happy to see Sarah and it was beuaitufl and I need another drink. Celebratory sriqnks all around!

Tracey's a good kid. Dunno where you dug him up from but he can stay with us as long as he likes. Or until he blows gimself ip with that bloodstone he hadn me dig iut from that giant devourer. Hoep Diana isn't too sick of babysitting recless Lriory because we asweem to be multiplying onher.

So stop worrying so much! I'n doing great, I'm in good company. We're having advebtures! I'll send reports back when I learn things worth reporting, okay?

Luv ya Gixz,

-Sax.

• Sister
  • Officers
  • Slacker's Foot Soldier
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
106 Zephyr 1330 - A lot has happened since my last entry. The Tokkra from the membership rolls was indeed the long lost Tokky. He was an engineer at a remote Iron Legion outpost, and had been tracking both Sarah and her father for years. But, as a lone soldier, and a blatantly non-human one at that, there had been little he could do. He was overjoyed to see Sarah; their reunion was wonderful.

Wonderful, but too short. We had to take advantage of his knowledge of Goodman's movements, and it paid off in the successful capture of Goodman and Aidan's aunt Andrea. However, we celebrated too soon (and too hard on my part - Charr whiskey is powerful stuff). Our operation apparently ruffled the feathers of some jumped-up Charr bureaucrat at the summit. He took it out on Tokkra, charging him with "treason" for "abandoning his post without dire need". We tried to intercede, and got sent on a fool's errand to secure a region from ogres. When we arrived to find it already secured, we knew we'd been hoodwinked. Tokkra had been shipped off to the Black Citadel, to die as a gladiator in the Bane.

("We" is currently consisting of myself, fellow Priory member (and blind teenager, sent specifically to check up on me, POINT TAKEN STEWARD GIXX, but anyway) Tracey Natalis, and a human named Eryn. When we first met her she was comforting a frantic Sarah Goodman after Tokky's arrest. She has since fallen in with us. She doesn't volunteer any information about herself, but she keeps a scroll in a wooden case very close to her at all times.)

We caught up with Tokkra before his battle, and we were able to slip him a potion (Tracey) and stealthily lay some traps in the arena (me). The potion was supposed to increase strength and aggression, I believe. At this it succeeded... gruesomely well. It was a five-Charr free-for-all, last Charr standing wins freedom in exile. Tokkra let the first two kill each other, took the potion and ripped the third apart with his bare paws, then led the fourth into my traps, which also... succeeded.

It was a bloodbath. It was awful. What a waste of life for entertainment. And for all we know the other four were in that ring for reasons no more just than Tokkra's. Eryn is worried we may come under investigation for fixing the match, but from what I observed cheating is so rife in the Bane that no one can point fingers, so everyone is safe. No one wants to question or examine what goes on down there too closely; too many uncomfortable secrets drown in the blood for anyone to agree to dredge it all up.

Tokkra is free, though traumatized and an outcast from Charr society. I may suggest he seek out one of the Pact orders, or possibly the Sentinels, although I think first he will want to finally spend some time with his old friend, Sarah.