Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Are we getting "junk" sleep?  (Read 1893 times)

• Talia
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Champion
  • Talia.7412
    • The Charter Vanguard
Are we getting "junk" sleep?
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:13:38 PM »
Sounds like me...

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/devlin/14808

I think we all know the kind of sleep you get when you decide to go to bed with a TV blaring. It's not good. But I like the name The Sleep Council in Britain gives to the kind of sleep teens get when they go to sleep watching TV, listening to music, or using other electronic gadgets: "junk sleep."

A poll of 1,000 kids, ages 12 to 16, found that 30 percent go on four to seven hours of sleep a night, far from the recommended eight or nine or more that teens often get when they can. As Reuters reports, nearly all of the teenagers surveyed had a phone, music system, or TV in their bedroom and two-thirds of them had all three. What, no PC, too? A 2005 Pew Internet & American Life project study found that 26 percent of U.S. teens spent time online in their bedrooms, and that's two years ago.

As Helene Emsellem, a sleep physician, told the NPR's Allison Aubrey, "As we have more and more ways to stay connected at night, we've seen an exaggeration of the night-owlism in teenagers." Research shows that teens' internal clocks shift toward much later sleep times, and tech that keeps teens engaged and not relaxed doesn't help—especially when they have to get up early for school.

Check out Emsellem's recommendations to help teens sleep better in the article. (Link below) For starters, she tells parents to take TVs out of teens' bedrooms, enforce turn-off times on PCs and phones—every tech gadget except music players. Ensellem encourages teens to listen to music at night—but tune into a soothing playlist, on low volume, that helps them relax and go to sleep.

If you've got more tips to help kids de-tech at the end of the day and get the sleep they need, please post them below.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Talia »

• Anonymous
Here are some I use.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »
I used to have Insomnia so I know all to well what this is like. There are a few tricks that you can use to prevent things like this from happening to anyone.

First thing that you need to do is After 8:00pm there should be no caffeine entering your body as this prevents you from sleeping (Duh).

You should have a regular sleep schedule, if your used to going to sleep at 10:00pm then you should stick to that time, even on the weekends. This helps to prevent the falling off the sleep schedule.

Your bed, This should be used for only sleeping. You shouldn't sit there listening to music and just lay there talking on the phone. There are people who use it just to sit there(actually while I type this i'm sitting in my bed) It makes your brain think that this is just another room and gets it into the habit  of this is the room I go to sleep in.

Do something that helps you fall asleep, such as read a book, or perhaps listen to some music(as already suggested). This will help your mind easy into the fact that it's bed time. Make sure to stay away from exercise or something that may get the endorfins pumping back into your blood.

This is just a few things that have helped me in the past. Perhaps they will be able to help some of you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:32:53 PM »
Talking about book. Maybe you can set this on shortcut to help you fall asleep :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Sword Cruise »

• Arn Liac
  • Ember's Experimental Blob
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »
OMG math! numbers? Hmmmm this reminds me of 6th grade algebra class. I did read a math book once to bore me to sleep.  Worked like a charm but then I had a dream about huge piles of late math homework.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Arn Liac »

Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles and sometimes angry mobs, but for all it\'s hardships it is the only one worth taking~Beckett

• Harith
  • GW1 Member
  • Venia's Sail Mender
    • http://guildwars.ogaming.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »
If I don't get "real sleep"(more than 7 hours) as one of my friends in my dorm puts it, I can't function.  I prefer 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep, but it's hard to get, and when I'm interrupted I tend to remember dreams better.

Meditation I've found pretty useful before I go to sleep, or just closing your eyes and concentrating on what your body feels like and relaxing it.

Exercise or staying up past the usual time you go to sleep are what I find to be the usual sleep killers for me.  Also doing something mentally stimulating before bedtime makes me wake up and start burning the midnight oil.

Aside from that, I can have caffeine, sleep in different positions, different rooms, or things like that without disrupting my sleep.   If you are very relaxed or very tired you can sometimes sleep even in bad conditions.  I've fallen asleep sitting up in cars or behind desks and on the floor when I've been tired or sleepy enough without something stressful to keep me awake.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Harith »
"Since all the world is but a story, it were well for thee to buy the more enduring story, rather than the story that is less enduring."
The Judgement of St. Colum Cille
(St. Columbia of Scotland)

• Hondy
  • Venia's Deck Swabber
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »
There are some people who have this illness or whatever you'd like to call it that can help them get to sleep after they've had a cup of coffee. Personally I've suffered from sleepness nights but these days I'm always exhausted when I go to sleep.

Typically on a school night I'll go to sleep at 10.30 but on a weekend like tonight I'm a rager.

There are some nights that I just can't will myself to sleep, like recently a few days after I got off the plane from Thailand I could not will myself to sleep at all. It's really very odd.

I occasionally (like tonight) get into bed with my lap top and type away. But mostly I'm good and keeping it in my study room. It's just when I can't be bothered with sleeping that I want to play with the laptop in bed. My Dad is really strict on electronics in rooms, since theres some percentage that children with TVs in there room are more likely to get distracted easily.

I find if you can wake yourself up in the morning well, with a decent breakfast and coffee you will burn more energy and be able to get to sleep easier at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Hondy »
- Zoe
Hondy: You were the original inspiration! I'm going to bake you a pie, man-slave!