Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Big Winner in Apple dropping headphone jack? It's Apple  (Read 984 times)

• Kalendraf
  • Vanguard
  • Legendary Champion
  • Filthy Casual
Big Winner in Apple dropping headphone jack? It's Apple
« on: September 12, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »
When Apple announced that the new Iphone 7 no longer has a standard headphone jack, it left a lot of people scratching their heads.  Well, it should be no surprise that Apple owns Beats which is currently the largest bluetooth headphone provider:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12839758/apple-is-biggest-winner-from-killing-headphone-jack

Some interface ports eventually get replaced by newer technologies, and over the years a variety of audio connectors (Phone plug - aka 1/4" jack, Miniature phone plug - aka 1/8" jack, RCA, BNC XLR, 1/8", S/PDIF, TOSLINK optical, and many others) have found widespread adoption.  But despite advances in technology, most of these are still perfectly acceptable connectors for audio purposes.  There's not a legitimate technical reason for dropping the headphone jack.

Instead, this is the kind of move a monopolist makes - an intended disruption in the market from which only they will get the most benefit.  In this case, Apple can claim they aren't a monopoly due to competition from Android, etc.  But once users start adopting the no-headphone jack idea, Apple is hoping it will have a natural outcome of making headphone jacks seem outdated.  Each user that switches to using Beats bluetooth headphone is more money lining Apple's pockets.

Proud owner of GWAMM & 50/50 HoM

Re: Big Winner in Apple dropping headphone jack? It's Apple
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:45:39 PM »
It is a bet, which is likely give Apple the win in the long run. Too many people are addicted to Apple as a brand. Until another brand comes up to scratch as Apple, this is where it is going.

Re: Big Winner in Apple dropping headphone jack? It's Apple
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »
Many people are not happy that they won't be able to listen to music on headphones while charging the phone unless they get wireless, which adds another burden for charging.  The Apple "AirPods" have been pilloried for looking like silly earrings and for how easy it will be to lose them.  Apple has also been pilloried for claiming that forcing people to use bluetooth headphones is some kind of courageous, monumental leap forward.

Reminds me of Microsoft deciding to try to force consumers where they don't want to go, i.e. Windows 8.  I think it is likely that Apple will have to swallow their pride and provide a 2nd "lightning" connector for people to use for headphones/apps in the future (kinda like Windows 10).  Apple was at least smart in providing a "lightning" to 3.5mm adapter with every phone, but I don't think it is going to outweigh many consumers anger at not being able to use their headphones when they are charging the phone.