Welcome guest, please

Login with username, password and session length

News and Newsletter:

Click here to join the Charter Vanguard

Author Topic: Anger Over X-Men Posters Showing Jennifer Lawrence Being Strangled  (Read 1289 times)

• Talia
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Champion
  • Talia.7412
    • The Charter Vanguard
https://sg.movies.yahoo.com/anger-over-x-men-posters-showing-jennifer-lawrence-080717888.html

A storm is brewing over billboard posters promoting ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ in the US which show Jennifer Lawrence’s character being strangled.

The huge ads feature the strapline 'Only The Strong Will Survive’, and show Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Mystique.

Actress Rose McGowan is among those who have torn into the studio, sharing a post on her Facebook page which has slammed 20th Century Fox for using the image, declaring 'f**k this s**t’.

User Kelly Morgen appealed for others to share her post too, which reads: “I recently passed two billboards for the new X-Men: Apocalypse movie along 880-N, and IT WAS NOT OKAY.

“I felt angry, uncomfortable, and shocked to see a frightened woman being choked by a man. Given this freeway usually sports anti-domestic violence billboards, it was jarringly out of place. If this billboard bothers you, regardless of your gender, please repost and share this. The producers show know this sort of marketing is profoundly NOT OKAY.”

McGowan has since spoken the The Hollywood Reporter, calling the decision to use the image 'offensive and, frankly, stupid’.

“There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film,” she said.

“There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid.

“The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society. Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous.

“So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad?“

She went on to say: “I’ll close with a text my friend sent, a conversation with his daughter. It follows: ‘My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: 'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’ This from a 9-year-old. If she can see it, why can’t Fox?”

Meanwhile New York blog EV Grieve has also posted a picture of one of the posters, which has been defaced with the message 'This violence in my kid’s face is not okay’.

X-Men expert and writer Jay Edidin added to THR: “It’s gratuitous, it’s offensive in completely useless ways. Offensive isn’t always necessarily bad, but this is offensive in ways that serve absolutely no purpose, and while it does depict a scene from the actual film, it’s also a terrible representation of the movie as a whole.”

Re: Anger Over X-Men Posters Showing Jennifer Lawrence Being Strangled
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »
Just wow.  American prosperity has produced people just sitting around waiting to be offended. 

"There is no context in the ad..."  Ummmm.... except for the giant letters showing it is an ad for the well known X-MEN movie series.

"This from a 9 year old..."  Well, the guy is all silver and and the presumably female is all blue and scaly.  If the 9 year old is too ignorant to figure out that it is a fictional Superhero/Supervillain movie scene, the Parent should be able to explain it to the 9 year old.  (btw... I call total BS that any 9 year old actually made the quote claimed.)

Actress Rose McGowan was fired by her agent in 2015 for getting offended and blasting it on Twitter when a simple wardrobe note was attached to her script (according to Wikipedia).  Now she is working for tiny startup "Tangerine Entertainment" whose stated mission is "Producing movies and media by female directors..."  Hrm... wonder if that might be a reason for her suddenly being offended at an X-Men poster?

It would be hilarious if the ad was edited to look like Apocalypse was wiping the cheek of Mystique with a tissue.  This moronic PC nonsense needs to be called out for what it is.

• Talia
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Champion
  • Talia.7412
    • The Charter Vanguard
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »
"This from a 9 year old..."  Well, the guy is all silver and and the presumably female is all blue and scaly.  If the 9 year old is too ignorant to figure out that it is a fictional Superhero/Supervillain movie scene, the Parent should be able to explain it to the 9 year old.  (btw... I call total BS that any 9 year old actually made the quote claimed.)

Therein lies the other problem of parents not spending enough time with their children. The kids are interpreting everything they see and hear in odd and wrong ways, and the parents just go around blaming everyone but themselves.

I was curious if my son (an 8 year old) would have more common sense than the 9 year old in the report, so I showed the picture to my son and asked him what he thought of him. He said "The bad guy is punishing the bad girl for doing something wrong." I asked him if it made him want to go out and strangle a girl, or think it's good to strangle a girl. He looked shocked that I would even ask that. "It's the Xmen. They always fight in these movies. Why would I strangle a girl?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:15:00 PM by Talia »

• Edivaine
  • she.haz.lejndaree
  • Vanguard
  • Ember's Caged Chimp
  • !i.haz.lejndaree!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
much ado about nothing

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 03:19:48 AM »
I will be happy if they are offended by J Law naked than her acting in a movie.